RFC: Man-DB UTF-8 support fix

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 10 10:36:26 PDT 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 17:43:08 +0100, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>  I was going to say "nice work" for the table, but checking it
> against src/encodings.c I note that Ukrainian should be KOI8-U not
> -R.  Sorry to carp ;-)

Ken, thanks for the prompt feedback.  If that's the only error in the encoding
table, I'd be surprised :-)  I've updated that typo in my working copy now.

>  I was also going to say that the warning seemed a bit harsh, and
> that only _legacy_ encodings not listed are unsupported

I nearly dropped the warning completely, but I couldn't be certain that our
setup now covers all cases.  If it's felt that the chances of hitting what is
probably now a corner case are vanishingly small, it'd make sense to remove it,
I think.

> Matt, please add
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/man-db/man-db-2.5.5-fix_testsuite-1.patch
>
>  When I tried it, it appeared to fix all the issues, but I'd feel
> happier if it was tested in a build.

Thanks for the pointer, Ken.  I tested this on a newly built LFS system and that
patch does indeed fix the issue, and all tests now pass.

I've attached my latest version of this patch with your two fixes, and the
updated instructions are now available from
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~matthew/lfs_man_db_fix/chapter06/man-db.html.

Thanks again, Ken.

Regards,

Matt.