glibc-2.10.1 make check fails

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:28:28 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Using 2.6.18 appears to potentially affect binaries built against kernels older
>>> than that and run on a LFS-6.5 or later system. I don't see where that would be
>>> an issue.
>>
>> I don't think it affects binaries. It only affects what kernel you're
>> running. You can have an ancient binary, and so long as the binary
>> format and interfaces are still supported on the system you're
>> running, it should be fine.
>
> It sounds like you are agreeing with me.  An ancient binary will not run if the
> support is not built into glibc.

But I think we're disagreeing on what "the support" is. A binary
compiled on LFS-6.0 will be ELF, which is the same. Likewise, glibc
and the kernel provide excellent backwards compatibility in interfaces
(regardless of what --enable-kernel setting was used for the LFS-6.0
glibc). So, there's a near 100% chance that an LFS-6.0 binary will run
on LFS-6.5, and the --enable-kernel setting has no bearing on that.

--
Dan