LFS-BOOK PDF generation

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue May 26 22:21:40 PDT 2009

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> May 26, 2009 8:03:58 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
> WARNING: Font 'Symbol,normal,700' not found. Substituting with
> 'Symbol,normal,400'.
>
> May 26, 2009 8:03:58 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
> WARNING: Font 'ZapfDingbats,normal,700' not found. Substituting with
> 'ZapfDingbats,normal,400'.
>
> May 26, 2009 8:03:59 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.FontInfo notifyFontReplacement
> WARNING: Font 'ZapfDingbats,italic,400' not found. Substituting with
> 'ZapfDingbats,normal,400'.

I did some research on this and found:

http://www.nabble.com/Adding-Verdana-font-in-Linux-and-registering-it-with-FOP-0.94-td19711056.html#a19722467

The relevant comment is:

This is because there are not italic versions of the ZapfDingbats and
Symbol fonts. DocBook specifies those fonts so that a fallback can be
used for special characters, but this doesn’t work well with FOP. If
your custom font contains glyphs for all the characters you use in your
document, then you should have no problems. Verdana does contain glyphs
for all the characters and punctuation marks commonly used in English,
at any rate. If you use other special characters like in mathematics,
watch unexpected ‘#’ in the output pdf: this is what FOP uses as an
indication that it couldn’t find a glyph for the corresponding
character.

Looking at the dingbats, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat, I don't see where
italic or bold dingbats make sense.  We can just ignore these warnings.

   -- Bruce