udev 142 - no longer includes libvolume_id and vol_id

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sat May 30 14:51:45 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>> taken from NEWS
>>
>> The program vol_id and the library libvolume_id are removed from the
>> repository. Libvolume_id is merged with libblkid from the util-linux-ng
>> package. Persistent disk links for label and uuid depend on the
>> util-linux-ng version (2.15) of blkid now. Older versions of blkid
>> can not be used with udev.
>>

>> I came across this problem when attempting to compile hal 0.5.12rc1.
>> but I noted that the LFS docs still make reference to volume_id
>
> Yes, will have to reevaluate udev, util-linux-ng, and e2fsprogs as the next
> versions are released.  They're all interrelated and things are moving around.
>
> That's pretty much what's holding up LFS-6.5 right now.  If this issue wasn't
> there, we could release now.
>
>   -- Bruce

sorry, I meant that udev 142 is in the book, and vol_id libvolume_id
is listed on the page.  [I threw the note on hal on there, to show
where I discovered it]

 Installed programs:  ata_id, cdrom_id, collect,
create_floppy_devices, edd_id, firmware.sh, fstab_import, path_id,
scsi_id, udevadm, udevd, usb_id, vol_id, write_cd_rules, and
write_net_rules
Installed libraries: libudev and libvolume_id