devtmpfs proposal

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 14:56:12 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>> I noted that the linux kernel is working on a system called devtmpfs.
>>>From what I have read, it mount's a tmpfs, then populates it (Giving
>> us console, and null, even all the device module nodes before udev
>> runs).  It is designed to allow udev to come along later, and
>> replace/update the nodes.
>>
>> This would allow the boot scripts to be simplified, and allow booting
>> with init=/bin/bash w/o additional setup (Other then mounting /
>> readwrite).
>>
>> Information on how it works:
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/330985/
>>
>> Upstream Status:
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/345480/
>
> I'm not sure how this affects us.  It appears that we remove section 6.2.1.
> Creating Initial Device Nodes (but insist on a specific kernel option).  I don't
> see anything else.  I suppose /dev would be automatically mounted as a tmpfs,
> but how does that help someone who is not doing something with an embedded
> system without a disk drive?
>
> What am I missing?

well, I think it was myself missing something actually.

When I was suggesting it, I was imagining /dev already existing when
the kernel boots [the fact I still have to mount it on /dev slipped my
mind].

It would only have minimal value to the book, if any.  There would not
be any changes to the bootscripts.

My apologies