libtool requirement?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 7 02:41:29 PDT 2010

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 08:06:08 +0200, Gilles Espinasse <g.esp at free.fr> wrote:
> I was working on libtool upgrade for my system, following what LFS has
> done.
>
> libtool is compiled only once in chap6, and long after it has been used
> for those chap6 compilation : glibc, binutils, gmp, mpfr, gcc, pkg-config,
> ncurses, util-linux-ng
>
> That mean we rely on host libtool to be good enough. There is even no host
> requirement for libtool. Should not libtool be compiled on chap5 too, so
> we less depend on the host?

If a package correctly integrates libtool then it should provide its own
libtool script, and therefore not rely on the host.  See
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Configuring (in
particular the Makefile.in and Makefile.am fragments there).

The only package I know that doesn't do this correctly is NCurses, but
libtool functionality has to be explicitly enabled using
./configure --with-libtool which we don't do.

Therefore, nothing should rely on the host's, chapter 5's or even chapter 6's
libtool package.  The reason we build it is the same as for building
autoconf and automake; there may be packages out there that required doing
an 'autoreconf' on, which may require libtool to be installed in order to
regenerate the Makefile's.

Regards,

Matt.