Bootscript future

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Tue Aug 10 19:08:27 PDT 2010

On 8/10/10 6:49 PM, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Having got so used to doing this at work just recently, I wondered why LFS didn't have the
> 'service' binary.  Apparently it should be supplied by sysvinit (see, for example,
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/sysvinit-utils/filelist).  It was apparently added in
> 2.86ds1-62 (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=534300) yet our 2.88dsf
> version doesn't contain it.  I gave up looking for it after that!

In Fedora, it's just a shell script, provided by the initscripts
package, and it's not really a long script, either.

Here's a snippet from its man page:

SYNOPSIS
        service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS]

        service --status-all

        service --help | -h | --version

DESCRIPTION
        service  runs  a System V init script in as predictable
environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with
current working directory
        set to /.

Jeremy