LFS Directions

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Feb 1 23:15:38 PST 2010

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:00:57 +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> What's your recommendation then? Pass '-j1' on the command line for all
> 'make install' invocations?

That's probably overkill. All I know is I've previously been burnt by
both GCC and Glibc with `-j3' on 2 cores. And considering the importance
of these packages, I take no chances and just add the `-j1'. Note the
comment in followup to this:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-03/msg00000.html

I guess for everything else, if breakage is discovered, fix the
Makefile :-) Failing that, then add the`-j1'. I've only had 4 cores for a
short while and with 6 cores entering the mainstream who knows..

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/