LFS 6.6-rc1 corrections

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 19 05:52:01 PST 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:06:20 -0500, Jim DeMarco <lfs-dev at mondowacko.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have just started reading the LFS documentation and would like
> to propose the following [minor] corrections to LFS 6.6-rc1.  They
> apply to LFS-BOOK-6.6-rc1.pdf and are mostly typos and some
> grammar mistakes.

Thanks for the eagle-eyes Jim :-)

I'll fix those up tonight.

Just one minor point:

> p. xiii:
> "This package package contains math libraries"
> should be
> "This package contains math libraries"

Being a speaker of "British English" rather than "US English" I would
actually say "maths libraries" rather than "math libraries".  I've never
quite understood why Americans drop the 's'.  The word being contracted is
'mathematics' (plural) and by the American contraction seems to be shortened
to 'mathematic' (singular, which I'm not sure even exists as a concept, with
mathematics being a collection of individual mathematical disciplines).

Just a curiosity, and not intending to start language-flames :-)

Regards,

Matt.