LFS 6.6-rc1 corrections

Jim DeMarco lfs-dev at mondowacko.com
Fri Feb 19 06:34:27 PST 2010

Hi Matthew!

Thanks for the quick reply!

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Matthew Burgess
<matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Just one minor point:
>
>> p. xiii:
>> "This package package contains math libraries"
>> should be
>> "This package contains math libraries"
>
> Being a speaker of "British English" rather than "US English" I would
> actually say "maths libraries" rather than "math libraries".  I've never
> quite understood why Americans drop the 's'.  The word being contracted is
> 'mathematics' (plural) and by the American contraction seems to be shortened
> to 'mathematic' (singular, which I'm not sure even exists as a concept, with
> mathematics being a collection of individual mathematical disciplines).
>
> Just a curiosity, and not intending to start language-flames :-)

Interesting.  I don't recall *ever* seeing the plural "maths" myself (nor do
I recall ever using the singular "mathematic").  I always considered "math"
to be short for "mathematics".

A quick Google dictionary search appears to define only "mathematics";
and there are 8K references to "maths libraries" and 30K references to
"math libraries" (so "maths" is not as frequently used as "math", but is
far more common than *I* would have expected).

I suspect that "mathematics" is like "physics" and "pants" -- it does not
make much sense to talk about a "physic" or a "pant" either. :-)

I'm sure we could go on and on about language quirks (in a very polite and
instructive way -- no flaming involved).  But probably not on this list. ;-)

--Jim DeMarco