A little patch on the book

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL jmengual at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 10 10:15:46 PDT 2010

> Jean-Philippe,
>
>    I know your intentions are good, but this irritates me.
oh you shouldn't, really it's not enough important to be irritated I think. Only a small proposal and an idea I prefer sharing instead of keeping for me.

> We can't
> spell out every possible combination of errors someone makes.
Right.

>  It
> doesn't say extract the tarball to some arbitrary location that requires
> a special switch.
What switch? I've never talked about any switches. I only see users who, when the book said they can unpack anywhere, they unpack in $LFS directly and have issues.

>   It says "extract the package to be built" and implies
> don't use any special switches.
Don't understand, I didn't introduce switch notion. Only a common errer about the location where sources are unpacked and the relationship between the unpacked source location and patches location. It means: 1. they musn't unpack in $LFS and $LFS/tools. 2. They must unpack in the same directory as patches as otherwise, they don't understand (or don't see) the ../ before name of any patch and don't understand why patch is not discovered (once they cd in source).

>   If the user makes a decision to use
> something different, then it's up to them to figure out the problem.
Of course.

> If there is a problem in going from English to French, feel free to
> modify the words in the French version.
I hope we talk about the same problem. But for this peecise situation, not ambigueus result possible due to translation. So nothing to seee with French-English for this precise case.

Anyway no problem for me, it was only a suggestion inspired by my blfs translation now. If useless or not understandable, no problem I won't be disappointed or irritated: computer is my entertainment... :)

>    -- Bruce
-
       Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
       Vice-Président de l'association traduc.org
       Coordinateur du projet Linux From Scratch