A little patch on the book

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL jmengual at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 10 11:21:57 PDT 2010

> If you follow the instructions in 5.3, it says:
>
> 2. Change to the sources directory.
> 3. For each package:
>     a. Using the tar program, extract the package to be built.
>
> If you do that, to put the extracted files anywhere other than where
> they are supposed to be, you have to do
>
>    tar -C /someplace/else -xf tarball
ah ok, I didn't know. I must have followed better the exact instructions when I built my own lfs. Probably more careful.

> Yes, you can do:
>
> mkdir /my-unpacked
> tar -C /my_unpacked -xf tarball.tar.gz
> cd /my_unpacked/tarball
>
> and continue from there, but then the user is adding things not in the
> book.
Ok I understand what you mean.

> If you do
>
> cd /mnt/lfs
> tar -xf /mnt/lfs/sources/tarball.tar.gz
> cd tarball
>
> That will work, but that's not what the book says either.
Exactly.

> LFS is about learning.  One of the things to learn is how to follow
> instructions.
Ok I agree. Thanks for this precise answer which will help me understanding why a los of users fail and build an argued answer to them.

>   -- Bruce
-
       Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
       Vice-Président de l'association traduc.org
       Coordinateur du projet Linux From Scratch