chapter 6.52: psmisc-22.10

max.mann at web.de max.mann at web.de
Mon Sep 13 03:25:27 PDT 2010

Hello LFS maintainers,

sorry about my previous email. I forgot to change the setting to Text-mail. Please remove it
since it has been sent as html formatted.

As for the subject, while I was building  LFS 6.6 I discovered a problem in chapter 6.52: psmisc-22.10.
According to the book the optional command

   ln -sv killall /bin/pidof

can be issued at the end of the chapter. However, killall was installed in the directory

  /usr/bin/killall

So executing this command results in a dead link. I see that this has been fixed in 6.7-rc1.

It is furthermore stated, that /bin/pidof will be replaced with a better version from the sysvinit package.
It should be made clear at this point that keeping that link instead of sysvinit's version will not work. I got an
error message during boot.
I was able to trace the problem to the start script

/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

the line

pidlist=`pidof -o $$ -o $PPID -x "$1"`

in function
pidofproc()

 cannot be handled by killall. Changing this to

pidlist=`pidof -e "$1"`

seems   to fix the problem. However, since keeping killall instead of killall5   would mean some sort  of minor forking point in installing LFS, I  think  the book should  completely discard the alternative of keeping
 killall.

Best Regards
Max