pkg-config problem

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 19 13:56:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 19:28:26 +0100, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> sed -i -e '/^_PKG_TEXT/s/dnl/[]dnl/' \
>        -e '/^To get/s/dnl/[]dnl/' pkg.m4
>
> will do it, for those who dislike patching.  The simple "change
> '])dnl'" version I tried also changed other lines.

It turns out that this was actually a bug in Autoconf, not in pkg-config.
See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2010-09/msg00040.html and
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=f6030a3204a9b87e9b346e6eff4ce1117382fc86
for the upstream details.

Sadly, I caught this too late for 6.7, oh well!

Here's the sed that'll achieve the same as the upstream fix (minus their
test suite addition, of course):

sed -i -e 's/])m4_defun/[]&/' lib/m4sugar/m4sugar.m4

Ken, what package was it you were updating that tickled this bug?  I'll
try to reproduce and confirm the fix before commiting this one to the book.

Regards,

Matt.