pkg-config problem

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 19 14:30:46 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 02:56:08PM -0600, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 19:28:26 +0100, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > sed -i -e '/^_PKG_TEXT/s/dnl/[]dnl/' \
> >        -e '/^To get/s/dnl/[]dnl/' pkg.m4
> >
> > will do it, for those who dislike patching.  The simple "change
> > '])dnl'" version I tried also changed other lines.
>
> It turns out that this was actually a bug in Autoconf, not in pkg-config.
> See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2010-09/msg00040.html and
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/commit/?id=f6030a3204a9b87e9b346e6eff4ce1117382fc86
> for the upstream details.

 Odd, I thought the match that google found was reported to
autoconf, and deemed to be a pkg-config issue.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2010-07/msg00031.html

> Sadly, I caught this too late for 6.7, oh well!
>
> Here's the sed that'll achieve the same as the upstream fix (minus their
> test suite addition, of course):
>
> sed -i -e 's/])m4_defun/[]&/' lib/m4sugar/m4sugar.m4
>
> Ken, what package was it you were updating that tickled this bug?  I'll
> try to reproduce and confirm the fix before commiting this one to the book.

 nfs-utils-1.2.2 : there is a patch from gentoo -
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/nfs-utils/nfs-utils-1.2.2-make_libpcap_optional-1.patch
which has an explanation of the required autofoo.  If you get a
successful completion, with an updated 'configure' script, the
alternative fix has worked.

ĸen