perl-5.14.1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:13:24 PDT 2011

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>>
>>> silly question, but what was the reason for only installing part of
>>> perl? Â I know we don't need it, but we rarely go out of our way to
>>> just install what we need in chapter 5's packages.
>> Well, it's an interesting question. Â Looking back, lfs was installing a
>> partial Chapter 5 perl in May 2003, perhaps earlier. Â I don't remember
>> the details, but I suppose it was for efficiency reasons.
>
> IIRC, this was a DIYism that we borrowed from Greg. Essentially, perl
> with all the modules distributed in the tarball is much more than
> what's necessary for bootstrapping. Furthermore, perl will by default
> build all the modules for dynamic loading. By passing
> -Dstatic_ext=..., you're building only the necessary extensions and
> then linking them statically into the perl executable. It's less space
> and build time, but it's also a little more robust since you can't get
> into a situation where perl is looking in the wrong spot for these
> modules.
>
> So, it's really an optimization only. Just FYI, to keep that
> optimization but just add AutoSplit, you can just add
> "cpan/AutoLoader/pm_to_blib" to the make line.

Thanks Dan.  I have already updated the instructions to build all of
perl in Chapter 5.  So far it works OK.  The only thing it is needed for
is to build some documentation in glibc and coreutils before we puild
the full perl in Chapter 6.

I was looking for the line "cpan/AutoLoader/pm_to_blib", but wasn't able
to come up with that on my own.

Does anyone think we need to revert back to the partial build?  The only
real issue is whether we want to build these modules statically.  I
think we can leave things as they are and revert if someone reports a
problem.

   -- Bruce