Thinking forward LFS-7.0

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 13 21:39:04 PDT 2011

Okay, so I was just thinking...<replaceable><Deity></replaceable>
help us! I figure we have at least 6 months, potentially a year until
the next major LFS release, and now seems like a pretty good time to
explore some of the ideas that have been shelved for previous releases,
and even some new ones. Here is a quick list to see if there is any
interest. I'll reply to my own post afterward to separate my own
suggestions from the initial list.

* Package Management - Always causes a good debate.

* DESTDIR - Been mentioned several times and actually this is not too
disruptive (I did a POC about 3 years ago).

* LSB Compliance - For LFS we are nearly there anyway.

* Dynamic boot script - No more static list of links, this kind of ties
into LSB Bootscripts, but there are other options.

* Multi-lib - Shunned previously, but there are many projects that
expect this environment.

* EGlibC - Seems like Debian and friends are moving to EGlibc, gives us
a couple of niceties but nothing major, not sure what other distros are
doing, but I've seen a lot of mentions of it recently. The work is
already done by the way, our fellow devs at CLFS already have it covered
for us.

* Modular *.d/ directories - I'm pretty sure this is already covered in
another thread, but it should be done by default where possible.

* Anything else that I've missed

-- DJ Lucas