Thinking forward LFS-7.0

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 15 08:35:27 PDT 2011

Andrew Benton <b3nton at gmail.com> wrote:

>What would it take to compile a 64 bit system without the /lib
>=> /lib64 symlink (i.e, with the libs installed into /lib and
>no /lib64)? Obviously, it works as it is, it just looks like an ugly
>hack. I'd much rather (for aesthetic reasons) do away with
>{/usr,}/lib64 if I could.

Delete the symlink and fix other orphaned links? :-)

Seriously, it's probably more trouble than it is worth. It'd be mostly just adding --libdir=/usr/lib, and couple of small seds to the toolchain packages if you want to completely rid the option from the build machinery, but there will always be packages that think lib64 is the correct location unless you tell them otherwise. Even Debian doesn't go through the trouble.

--DJ