Thinking forward LFS-7.0

Stuart Stegall keltor at keltor.org
Fri Mar 18 12:19:10 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Ilya Kaliman <ilya.kaliman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, last time I checked (23.1.1), GNU Emacs was 32-bit only, and
>> there were no plans of porting it to x86_64. Which I found unusual,
>> given that it is one of the most ported pieces of software in the world.
>
> On my pure x86_64 system latest emacs 23.3 compiles and works
> perfectly fine. Maybe there are some components in emacs (like X
> interface) which require 32 bit. In that case you would already have
> 32 bit libs in place for the prerequisites to work. For work in the
> terminal pure 64 bit is perfectly fine.
>
> Best,
> Ilya.
> --

At one point Emacs didn't support 64bit arches, but I believe that's
long since resolved.  That was an issue with the LISP compiler.

At once point 32bit was required for LISP platforms (Since they
generally require their own specific lisp variety to compile
themselves - BOY you gotta love awesome "selfhosting" software like
that.)  Most of the LISPs now provide x86_64 binaries (and ppc64 as
well)

Virtulization is very doable these days using KVM, which is more
developed on x86_64 than x86.