Using the LSB Bootscripts

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Sun May 8 17:13:12 PDT 2011

On 5/8/11 8:03 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Wouldn't this be a BLFS issue?  It's a good idea, but I don't use dhcp
> myself.  It makes it hard to ssh into the system.

:) yep, necessary for a packaged distro though. And invaluable for
network booting.

> I'm not sure about the name rc.local, but I like the general idea.

Yes, I vacillated on choosing the name, and I'm still not sure it's
right. It contains things that gets sourced by /etc/default/rc, but
items that an end user is more likely to modify. Whereas /etc/default/rc
isn't really expected to be modified and even contains a little logic
for setting environment variables.

> Again, BLFS, but I agree in principle.  OTOH you may want to keep an ssh
> session active when restarting sshd.  I suppose this could always be
> done with an ssh session to a non-standard port, but it warrants a bit
> more discussion.

Yes, restarting ssh is fine - and for that it's not necessary to kill
sessions. This only applies to halt.

> The book says:
>
> "Computer instructions may be extracted from the book under the MIT
> License."
>
> As far as I'm concerned the scripts are public domain and don't need a
> license.
>
> Why don't you post your scripts so we can look at them in more detail.

Will do. I've removed most of the attribution headers in the individual
files, since my intent was to place them in one global location.

JH