Using the LSB Bootscripts

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue May 10 21:19:20 PDT 2011

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On 5/9/11 11:36 PM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>> Right, but the former /etc/sysconfig/network* was also default
>> configuration for how the bootscripts run.  Well, the network script
>> anyway.  :-)
>
> Just ifup/ifdown (which are now in /sbin) and network-services/* which
> is now in /lib/{network-}services - maybe I'm missing something?

The network-services/* stuff was what I meant by configuration.
(Especially the ifconfig.<device-name> file or directory.)

This is more or less bikeshedding at this point though, I think.

>> So networking goes down before the per-client sshd processes, and the
>> kernel isn't smart enough to kill those connections at interface-down
>> time.  :-(
>
> Well, that's actually a feature and not a bug. If your connection gets
> interrupted temporarily by forces outside your control, you want the
> session to be restored without interrupt.

I'd be surprised to find systems that did "ip link set dev eth0 down"
outside root's control.  :-)

(That's what I meant as the possible trigger for killing connections,
but obviously the kernel doesn't do it, so never mind.)

>> In that case, this should work.  Maybe with a comment explaining why
>> it's necessary though.
>
> Yeah, I should have pasted the two comments that Fedora has in their
> scripts, too:
>
>          # if we are in halt or reboot runlevel kill all running sessions
>          # so the TCP connections are closed cleanly

Looks fine.