udevadm --settle

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Thu May 12 21:30:36 PDT 2011

On 5/12/11 3:09 AM, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Sure there is...a fully event driven init as Bryan described earlier. I
> just don't find that to be transparent enough for my taste, nor udev
> quite mature enough just yet (as evidenced by this very issue), though
> it is getting there slowly but surely.

Personally, I'm tracking the progress of systemd. It was a bit raw when
I first played with it, but the core concept seems to me to be the right
way of approaching the issue. I can appreciate wanting transparency -
the idea of being able to trace a procedural path through a script has
major appeal. Still, I believe the design of process control in systemd
(using cgroups) actually has transparency in mind, allowing a picture
into why something was automatically launched.

Interesting things afoot...

JH