DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 15 00:29:33 PDT 2011

On 05/15/2011 01:39 AM, Nathan Coulson wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 9:36 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org
> <mailto:dj at linuxfromscratch.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/14/2011 04:37 PM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>     > Everything is covered per this conversation in SVN with the
>     exception of
>     > accounting for missing /run in LightCube OS, but I think it was
>     decided
>     > that it would be added. Also no ip flush (I forgot, but will get
>     it in a
>     > day or two) on down interface, and dhcp calls not accounted for.
>     I'll need to setup both DHCP clients to test functionality for this,
>     which is why I didn't just do it tonight. The problem I want to
>     avoid is
>     if we do a flush, but the client daemon is still running, come
>     expiration, the client daemon might try to reconfigure the
>     device...even
>     if it means adding dhcp logic in the lfs scripts (or replacing them in
>     BLFS). Also, is anyone still using RP for PPPoE, alos simple ppp, that
>     is willing to test? I unfortunately no longer have a ?DSL circuit to
>     test with so I'll need some help from somebody who does. I would think
>     if the link is set down the client daemons for the dhcp clients would
>     exit, but would ppp attempt to reconnect? I'm also thinking that the
>     added functionality for ifdown can be done in a modular way in
>     /lib/network-services so that it can be divvied up for each who
>     needs it.
>
>     -- DJ Lucas
>

> dhclient, and dhcpcd checks,  does get ugly if we test for specific
> programs.  I always liked avoiding package specific work.  (and there
> are other dhcp clients out there.  My openwrt has dnsmaq for example)
Yeah, could use a bit of help here actually. I'm thinking about
providing default service config values in the service script itself (to
be over ridden by the config file), and a guard at the top of the
service script for IFCONFIG, and just walking the /lib/network-service
tree from ifdown. This seems easiest, and more importantly, most
efficient in that for each service, a generic "stop" target can can be
called for an interface (as opposed to down), and the service script has
the logic, not the ifdown script. This makes it extensible for whatever
you want to throw at it. For instance, in the case of both dhcp cleints,
you check for the appropriate lease file, or just exit 0. Have to
explicitly exclude ipv4-static and ipv4-static-route, reason being we'll
flush all IPs on the interface, so ipv4-static is not needed, and when
the link is dropped, the kernel will drop the static routes as well. Do
you see anything wrong with that logic?

-- DJ Lucas