Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sun May 15 12:36:32 PDT 2011

On May 15, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why it'd be necessary to do this.  We already
> have the previous configuration of every interface stuffed away in /run,
> and we use that when deciding which service scripts to call when
> bringing down networking.  Doesn't that kill the pppd / pppoe / dhclient
> / dhcpcd / whatever daemons already?  And doesn't that remove the IPs
> that were configured already, for static?

I thought the goal was to predictably handle scenarios where the running config didn't match the cached version, or where there was no cached version.

If the goal is only to directly cancel the configuration as-cached, and not to care if that cache is no longer accurate or no longer exists, then I agree, there's no need to do any of this special handling as the normal service scripts should be sufficient.

	Zach