Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon May 16 04:33:30 PDT 2011

On May 16, 2011, at 12:49 AM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> I also *think* the only way the cached config might not match the
> running config is if root mucked with the running config manually.

Or when /run is not writable at the time the network scripts execute. Or if the cached config were lost for some reason (someone deleted the wrong file in /run or mounted a new fs over /run after the network scripts came up). I don't think either is likely to be a common occurrence.

> And in that case, I don't think it's smart to override that decision.

I think this is the real question -- do we want to help people get back to a "known good" state at the cost of breaking out-of-band configuration, or do we let people in bad states deal with that on their own?

A compromise might be to provide an `ifreset` script, that does a full ipflush, walks the services dir calling a `reset` target, etc., but *not* integrate that script into ifdown.

	Zach