DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 17 19:43:46 PDT 2011

On 05/17/2011 08:54 AM, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On 5/16/11 1:49 AM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the goal *should* be.  :-)  Does it make sense to try
>> to clean up completely in this kind of setup?  Maybe or maybe not.
>>
>> I do think it's least *surprising* to only undo the effects of the start
>> script, though.  For whatever that's worth.
> I do think we're getting a little overcomplicated here. Let's try to
> simplify expectations. Here's what I expect (and I *think* this is
> reasonable - you tell me :-) )
>
> When I run the equivalent of /etc/init.d/network stop:
>
> All devices configured to start ONBOOT are shut down, any addresses
> assigned to them are removed (this of course means that if there is a
> running dhcp service in the background, it won't add any addresses to
> the device until I restart the network service).
>
> When I run the equivalent of /etc/init.d/network start:
>
> Any devices configured to start ONBOOT are brought up according to the
> settings in their associated config file.
>
> This behavior implies that I should be able to modify network devices on
> the fly. If the service is restarted, the devices will only be activated
> with configuration explicitly stated in the config files.
>
> JH
With ifup and ifdown public, they needed to have predictable behavior
with invalid options, and provide a help text. Having been edited a
thousand times, those scripts had become kind of ugly to look at. At
very least, they are more linear, but IMO they are much cleaner and easy
to follow now.

Scripts attached for review.

-- DJ Lucas