Changes to contrib bootscripts

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Wed May 18 11:58:39 PDT 2011

On 5/18/11 1:16 PM, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Alright, with last commit to lsb-bootscripts, I think we are ready to
> go. Bruce, Matt, you guys get a chance to review the patch?

I've been looking over the scripts, they look good, nice job!

There are a couple of things that I think I'd still prefer to see
changed, if possible.

The /etc/default/rc.site file still contains some things that I think
don't quite belong in what is intended as an end-user configuration file
(note, I'm thinking even beyond what we often think of as an _LFS_
end-user and more like a typical non-LFS end user)

The first line is an RC_BASE definition. I can't possibly think why
anyone would ever change this - if you change it to something besides
/etc, everything breaks. You'd really have to modify a number of things
in order for this to work, and if you're going to do that, you're more
than an end user. /etc/default/rc seems more appropriate.

RC_FUNCTIONS=.../lfs-functions - I think I forgot to mention that we
killed this completely in our modifications and just dumped it all to
the end of /lib/lsb/init-functions. I don't really see a need to keep it
separate.

NETWORK_DEVICES="/etc/network" - Again, likely to ever be changed by an
end user?

The FAILURE_ACTION line and everything after: I see these all as
installation configurations, not end user. It's either distro settings,
colors for the display on the lines, prefixes for the types of notices,
settings for interactive startup, if you're using it, exporting those
variables and a function to print a message.

The only thing I personally think should stay in /etc/default/rc.site is
the following, everything else should move to /etc/default/rc:

# Bootlogging (requires a tempfs mount)
BOOTLOG_ENAB="yes"

# Hostname
HOSTNAME=<lfs>