Changes to contrib bootscripts

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 19 12:45:20 PDT 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:16:22 -0500, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Alright, with last commit to lsb-bootscripts, I think we are ready to
> go. Bruce, Matt, you guys get a chance to review the patch?

Hi DJ, apologies for the delay, but I've now managed to review your patch.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to do this, it looks pretty good to me.

Secondly, what follows are probably bike-shed topics, but I'll throw my
2p in along with everyone elses anyway :) :

make-aux-files.sh: Why renaming things to lsb-bootscripts?  If we're
migrating (which I think we should), shouldn't we just move the lsb
scripts out of contrib and then continue to refer to the package as
the lfs-bootscripts?

chapter07/console.xml: 1) Where did the consolelog script/configuration go?

chapter07/network.xml: I quite like Red Hat's layout, but probably just because
I've become accustomed to it through my day job.  On that distro, network device
config lives in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and those files namely ifcfg-<ifname>
and route-<ifname>.  I certainly don't see the need for subdirectories under
whichever directory is chosen to house the network configuration files, but
maybe I'm being blinkered by my only needing static wired interfaces to be
configured.

Why are network scripts put under /lib/network-services? Again, possibly blinkered
by my exposure to Red Hat, but keeping the service scripts in the same directory as
the interface config files makes sense to me.

Other than those minor points, I too think we're ready to go!

Thanks again,

Matt.