Changes to contrib bootscripts

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 20 01:47:09 PDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 17:25:15 -0500, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>>make-aux-files.sh: Why renaming things to lsb-bootscripts?  If we're
>>migrating (which I think we should), shouldn't we just move the lsb
>>scripts out of contrib and then continue to refer to the package as
>>the lfs-bootscripts?
>>
> No change, just file layout in SVN.

As I noticed after doing an 'svn update' in my own working copy.

>>chapter07/console.xml: 1) Where did the consolelog script/configuration
>>go?
>>

> echo "kernel.printk=4" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

Ah yes, of course.  Is this documented anywhere though, seeing as it's
a change from how we handled it in the past?

>>chapter07/network.xml: I quite like Red Hat's layout, but probably just
>>because
>>I've become accustomed to it through my day job.  On that distro,
>>network device
>>config lives in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and those files namely
>>ifcfg-<ifname>
>>and route-<ifname>.  I certainly don't see the need for subdirectories
>>under
>>whichever directory is chosen to house the network configuration files,
>>but
>>maybe I'm being blinkered by my only needing static wired interfaces to
>>be
>>configured.
>
> Might have to configure multiple services on one interface, for instance
> ip and ipx, or maybe one interface does not provide default gw, but a
> static route is still needed for a dual homed machine.

OK, I guess that makes sense :)

>>Why are network scripts put under /lib/network-services? Again,
>>possibly blinkered
>>by my exposure to Red Hat, but keeping the service scripts in the same
>>directory as
>>the interface config files makes sense to me.
>
> Executables don't belong in /etc, this one was covered in Jeremy's thread.

Yeah, that makes sense too; unfortunately I only glanced over Jeremy's thread.

Thanks.  In my opinion, this is ready to go in, but I don't know whether you
want final approval from Bruce?

Matt.