Changes to contrib bootscripts

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 21 10:10:37 PDT 2011

On 05/21/2011 11:17 AM, Robert Xu wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 08:10, Jeremy Huntwork
> <jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/21/11 2:48 AM, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>> I do plan to add a "service" script later that would alleviate the issue
>>> completely, as was suggested by Jeremy a few months ago, but I'm a
>>> little stuck as far as how to handle multi-level, conditional tab
>>> completions in bash, so it is on hold for a sec. Plus, I haven't seen
>>> how Jeremy and Archaic handle that in LightCube OS yet. My simple
>>> solution turned out to be not as simple as I had thought. That may even
>>> turn out to be a C program included with initd-tools or somewhere
>>> later...IDK as it hasn't been discussed yet. Jeremy, Archaic, any
>>> ideas/suggestions on that?
>> We've kept it simple, but possibly we have not met all the reqs:
>>
>> http://dev.lightcube.us/sources/lsb-bootscripts/service
>>
>> And then that's just installed to /usr/sbin:
>>
>> http://dev.lightcube.us/projects/lightcubeos/repository/entry/lightcube_os/trunk/packages/lsb-bootscripts/lsb-bootscripts.spec
>>
> Have you guys thought of using insserv? It's what SuSE has been using
> for years and what Debian Squeeze and on is using.

No, I haven't looked at it. I think it is a bit more than what we were
looking for initially, but that could certainly be an option. For right
now, I'd like to use the simple method as it will certainly come to
completion on the stated goal a little quicker. What we have now (in
this thread) works well enough.
> Or, you could just symlink all the initscripts to a rc location in
> /usr/sbin/rc<scriptnamehere>
> like /usr/sbin/rcnetwork for tab completion.
I don't think the tab completion would be any better in that you'd have
to add an additional complete command every time a script is added to
the system as opposed to it being dynamic (see my response to Jeremy).
There is a simple solution, others use it in a case statement for a
different purpose, I just haven't been able to understand it just yet as
the documentation is lacking IMO.

-- DJ Lucas