Next kernel is 3.0

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 30 14:40:23 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:22:23PM +0400, Ilya Kaliman wrote:
> It seems like Linus has decided to call next kernel version Linux-3.0 [1].
> Though there are absolutely no big changes (see [1]) it looks like a
> good candidate for a "major change" in LFS-7.0.
> I think it's better to stick with kernel 2.6 for LFS 6.9 and to wait
> while things will settle down a little bit. Many packages can be
> unprepared for such "big" changes.
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1147415
>
> Best,
> Ilya.
> --
 From what I saw elsewhere, I guess the version will be 3.0.0 when
released.  In that case, breakages, if any, from the version
numbering should be minimal.

 The actual changes in the kernel are expected to be no more than
for any of the last 2.6.3x kernels.

 But, the next kernel version is weeks away.  Once it has been
released (or has a release candidate that might be released, e.g.
perhaps -rc4), feel free to build it on a recent LFS system, if you
have the time, together with your normal userspace, to test if there
is any breakage (whether from changes in the kernel, or from the
changed version numbering).

 The current 2.6 versions will only get the normal stable fixes, so
it would need something major to prevent the book moving on.

ĸen