[lfs-dev] Udev-196 not create /dev/disk/by-{id, label, uuid, ...}, not bring up eth0.

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 10:42:13 PST 2012

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Matt Burgess wrote:
>>> Confirmed.  I'll take a look.
>>
>> Well, 2 hours later and I'm stumped.  I've run 'udevadm --debug test
>> /sys/block/sda > /root/udevadm-test.lst 2>&1' on both 195 and 196
>> versions of udev, and can't see anything obviously different between
>> the 2.
>
> Not having 196 installed, do you have these files somewhere where I
> could take a look?
>
> Also I assume the ruleset is calling IMPORT{builtin}="blkid", possibly
> with some flags after blkid?  That's what sets ID_FS_USAGE and friends
> (and what probes for the label and uuid).
>
> Hmm, did the Makefile changes for 196 handle the changes where upstream
> made both blkid and kmod optional?  We now need to add a couple new
> defines if we want that to work right, otherwise IMPORT{builtin}="blkid"
> won't actually do anything, because blkid won't be added to the list of
> builtins available in the code:

Good catch Bryan.  Last night I did a recursive diff between -195 and
-195 and look through that.  I saw that KMOD and BLKID were made
optional, but didn't connect the dots.

I'll need to add to udev-lfs-196/cfg.h:

#define HAVE_KMOD 1
#define HAVE_BLKID 1

and try again.

Some other things I noticed:

1.  Several locations are now hard coded with no ability to override:
     /etc/udev/udev.conf
     /etc/udev/keymaps/
     /etc/udev/rules.d/
     /etc/udev/hwdb.d

2.  Including a hwdb instead of using lspci/lsusb.  Now there are two
locations with possibly different contents for this information.  I
didn't see an equivalent to update-pciids or update-usbids.

   -- Bruce