[lfs-dev] campaign to save su

Firerat firer4t at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:06:02 PDT 2012

On Sep 4, 2012 9:36 AM, <g.esp at free.fr> wrote:

> [...]
coreutils tests issue in chap6 with su-tool used, it was changed in
changeset/9810 to be installed under su name (in chap5). So that can't
solve anything linking su-tools that no more exist under su-tools name or
su name as coreutils su has vanished since 8.19 upgrade.

Ahh, I see the problem now,

su-tools was not from the blobs, it came from coreutils and now it is no
more.

Would have been easier to see if you wrote that su{-tools} simply didn't
exist anymore, I thought you were worried about it not being suid

> > You need to understand why they need it.
> > Not for getting root but switching user from root to a non privileged
> > user and as such it need not be suid.
> >
> I already understand the problem. Thank.

As do I now that I know that the su-tools I thought may have come packaged
with the helper scripts didn't, it was from coreutils and is now awol

well, like I said it's been a while, but I have acquired a couple of old
Dell d600 laptops so will play around.
My guess is simply grabbing from the host as Bruce suggested is the easiest
option.

Firerat