[lfs-dev] LFS 7.3 ISO discussion

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 15:00:20 PDT 2013

William Harrington wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:13 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> The issues I had are the same for any iso.  I can't add a user
>> (typically lfs) and have it stay.  It needs that at every boot.  The
>> same goes for creating /mnt/lfs.  Starting sshd creates new keys and
>> requires a little extra work when connecting from another client.
>
> When the original devs created the LFS livecd, it was meant to be used
> sa if someone was using a brand new installed host. No lfs user, no
> /mnt/lfs.
>
> If the lfs user is already created, and the /mnt/lfs directory is
> already created, then those parts of the books where the lfs user is
> created or /mnt/lfs is created would be skipped.

Yes, that's true.

> It is meant to be used as a brand new host. What is really needed is a
> new livecd from a 7.3 build and then released as the LFS team sees fit.
> I have only made it work as a usable host for building 7.3 when people
> don't want to fool with a host and installing host system requirements.
> Although, using it, you are coming up with ideas you would like for the
> future LFS livecd, and this is great.
>
> Also you mentioned about using old hosts to build LFS and host system
> requirements. The host system requirements haven't changed since 6.3 and
> then an upgrade to a couple of requirements were updated in 6.5 or 6.6
> or 6.7, whenever the minimum kernel was updated to 2.6.25 or so, and
> then xz for another. There may have been another. That is exactly what I
> have used the 6.3 livecd for, in the past. To test host system
> requirements.

Very good.

> As far as it recreating ssh keys, I don't think you'd want to publish a
> livecd and distribute it and then everyone on the planet using the same
> ssh key if they have it open to the public vie their network connection.
> I don't know if that would happen often, but I'm sure plenty of people
> use livecd's as servers.

No, we don't want to do that.  I don't see a work around.

> Changes are needed and I'm sure a newer and better livecd will be issued
> to the world for building current and upcoming livecd's. I will keep the
> updated livecd current as I use it and everyone is welcome to use it.

Yes, I appreciate that you did that.  Right now I'm having a problem
with the drivers for gemu.  The same system that boots your livecd to
sda only recognizes hda with my kernel.  It works, but I'd prefer sda
drives.

   -- Bruce