[lfs-dev] Booting with systemd

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Mon May 5 09:26:28 PDT 2014

> Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 10:54:26 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [lfs-dev] Booting with systemd
>
> Nathan Coulson wrote:

> >> systemd-gpt-auto-generator and systemd-efi-boot-generator are binaries, but
> >> I can try to remove them.
> >>
> >> "Note that this generator has no effect on non-GPT systems, on systems where
> >> the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)), or
> >> where the mount points are non-empty."
> >>
> >> If it works as documented, it shouldn't do anything because all the mount
> >> points are listed in fstab.
> >>
> >> Note too that I blew away Windows completely, so I don't have an EFI System
> >> Partition, but I do have an EFI type bios.
> >>
> >> I tried removing the files, but that didn't help.
> >>
> >> This type of problem reinforces my dislike of systemd.  If it were a simple
> >> boot script, I could just comment out the offending line and get up and
> >> debug that function.  Here, the logic if buried deep in compiled code or
> >> multiple configuration files with opaque inter-dependencies.
> >>
> >> I'm really trying to make this work, but it keeps throwing problems up.  I
> >> tried Fedora 20 (with LXDE) and it didn't seem to work either.  It hangs
> >> with no apparent error messages.
>
> > For me, I have
> > /dev/sda - gpt disk,  /dev/sda1 is a EFI partition (FAT32), /dev/sda2,
> > lvm2, /dev/sda3 is my root
> >
> > (root is  suppose to be in lvm2, but currently broken since I have used systemd)
> >

> > my fstab:
> >
> > /dev/sda3       /       auto    defaults,discard        0 2
> > UUID=5E12-F7F1          /boot/          auto    defaults,discard        0 2
> > /dev/md0.vg/data        /mnt/data       auto    defaults 0 2
> > /dev/md0.vg/os.swap     none            swap    pri=1    0 0
> >

> > worst I ever have, are problems mounting /mnt/data and swap (lvm2).
> > not sure why.  Reboots fix it (or just mounting and continuing the
> > boot).  I guess the only partition I have that matches your usecase is
> > /boot, and I use a  UUID to mount it.
>
> I did try a UUID and a LABEL (on one partition) and neither worked.
>
> Is an EFI partition needed for systemd even though nothing else needs
> it?  That would be unacceptable.

Did you see the "BootLoaderInterface" page (
'http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/' )
that is linked to from the earlier-noted "DiscoverablePartitionsSpec" page (
'http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/BootLoaderInterface/' ): the
former says, " [...] This is only supported on EFI systems. Data is
transferred from the boot loader to systemd in EFI variables. [...] ".

(But, I shall go and have a coffee now, before getting involved in debugging
sysd here ...).

rgds,
akh