[lfs-dev] dbus, systemd, polkit, and consolekit

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat May 10 04:02:44 PDT 2014

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I have spent the last several days trying to understand the internals of
> dbus, polkit, and consolekit in an attempt to integrate System V and
> systemd.
>
> I have not been successful.  The linkages are not transparent at all.
> For example lxsession-logout tries to get permissions for poweroff or
> reboot in a very complex way.
>
> It calls dbus to get permissions for systemd-logind.  While running
<snip>

> Unless I get some feedback in the next couple of days with solid reasons
> that systemd, polkit, and consolekit are important, I am going to
> replace systemd with eudev in LFS and minimize recommendations for
> polkit and consolekit in BLFS.
>
> I'm a little undecided whether dbus should remain in LFS or not.  It
> doesn't hurt much, but it also isn't much use in an non-xorg environment
> unless you are using systemd.  To use it in an xorg environment, it (at
> least dbus-launch) needs to be built after xorg-libs.
>
> Many users come to LFS because they don't want the "bloat" of the
> commercial distros.  I am now willing to return to those roots.
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>
>    -- Bruce

On my system, replacing sysVinit and systemd with runit, I can get to the login prompt in under 8 seconds  (AMD fx-4100 Quad, 4 GiB - with LVM and initrd).  I could simplify the bootscripts and go faster, but I wanted to maintain compatibility with LFS bootscripts.  I totally back your almost-decision to remove systemd from the SVN.  I'd move d-bus out too, along with attr and acl.  The whole boot system shenanigan is an attempt by RedHat to become another Microsoft IMHO (which ain't so 'H', I admit).

There IS cause for a fork of the book for those who want to have systemd so they can build a distro-look-alike.  But that is in hint territory.

Richard.