[lfs-dev] dbus, systemd, polkit, and consolekit

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:07:18 PDT 2014

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 09:37:37PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>> Unless I get some feedback in the next couple of days with solid reasons
>> that systemd, polkit, and consolekit are important, I am going to replace
>> systemd with eudev in LFS and minimize recommendations for polkit and
>> consolekit in BLFS.
>>

>   I see you've done that - if I sound grumpy it's because I'm still
> debugging the changes I made to my own scripts to have the three
> alternative builds [ found an interesting error in my own chapter 7
> scripts - left a place for setting the systemd init (and did not set
> sysvinit like the book did), with a comment, but forgot to code it :
> init fell back to /bin/sh ].

Before I started making changes, I created a hybrid branch.  I just
committed it, so that work isn't lost.  I do appreciate your help in the
experiment, but I just didn't think it would work out.  I really tried
to combine sysd and sysv, but in the end, they required a divorce.

> Now plugging on, for what may well be
> my last ever build of systemd.  Dunno, I suppose I might try it in
> the distant future if I ever want to build gnome or kde, but that
> does not look likely at the moment.  Anyway -

I don't think KDE requires systemd.  I hope they don't but into that.

>   Systemd brought in gperf (for the keymaps - I guess that eudev
> could use it, if anyone has a need for these), acl, attr, libcap,
> xml-parser.  Can we look forward to any of these additions returning
> to BLFS ?

I was thinking that we should leave those in LFS.  We have never
advertised it as a minimal system.  Having them in LFS simplifies the
requirements sections in BLFS by quite a bit.   We can revisit that
later if there is a huge hue and cry lamenting that.

I will redo dbus in BLFS however.

   -- Bruce