[lfs-dev] dbus, systemd, polkit, and consolekit

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun May 11 07:11:33 PDT 2014

akhiezer wrote:

> (( Btw, possible typo in SVN-20140510, Part IV. Appendices, C. Dependencies :
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/appendices/dependencies.html
> "attr
> 	.
> 	.
>      Must be installed before: Acli, Libcap
> 	.	"
> ==
> s/Acli/Acl/ ?
>
> Why would such a thing happen: aren't those deps infos auto-generated.
> ))

I wish that were true.  I don't know how to implement that.

> There should be a fairly high barrier for inclusion of a package in lfs. They
> shouldn't be added gratuitously, or for flimsy 'reasons', or because it's
> 'convenient' at the time.

> Keep it simple. You're (still tending to) adding pointless complexity to LFS.

Adding simple libraries or a few stand-alone commands is not adding
complexity.

>>    We can revisit that
>> later if there is a huge hue and cry lamenting that.

> Hmmmm. If you use language like that - that tries to
> pre-label/pre-characterise feedback - while doing the things like you're
> proposing to do, or are doing, then you might find you're being worked-around
> rather than with or through. It's a truism that 'the majority don't complain,
> they just walk away, or work-around'.

I'm inclined to leave in acl/attr/libcap.  I'm not sure of the others.
One consideration is to try to keep the systemd version of the book and
the mainline version as close to each other as possible.  As it is now,
the only differences in packages is to add systemd and dbus and delete
sysvinit.  The bootscripts are different, but could be harmonized.

   -- Bruce