[lfs-dev] Essential Pre-reading

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Mon May 12 14:05:00 PDT 2014

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> TheOldFellow wrote:
>> Folks, I am still getting request for the updated version of this old
>> hint.  I am not going to update it, and it has been unmaintained for
>> over 9 years.  Don't you think it's time to take the pointer out of
>> the SVN, and the next release?
>>
>> If you do still want to keep it, and I'm honored that it's been there
>> so long, I'd appreciate a little change in the pointer:
>>
>> "Although it is very old and many of the links are now broken, this
>> is an LFS Hint written specifically for users new to Linux.  Anyone
>> attempting to install LFS should have an understanding of many of the
>> topics in this hint. But please don't contact the author seeking a
>> more recent version, there isn't one."
>
> We can remove the email reference in the hint or remove the reference to
> the hint completely.  Which do you think best?
>
> Alternatively, perhaps we could get a volunteer to update it.
>
>    -- Bruce

I'm relaxed about it.  If someone would like to update it, or just take the links out, please feel free to do so.

On the other hand, just removing it is simple.

I think it's easy for those of us who grew old with Linux to just assume quite a lot of this stuff, so there might still be a need for it, but in the LFS book, that I'm not so sure of.

Richard.