[lfs-dev] kernel options after removing systemd

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu May 15 10:00:15 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:08:41AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  I'm just catching up on the details of what has changed.  In
> >section 8.3 the rationale entries for all mentioned options are now
> >present - so far, so good.
> >
> >  Unfortunately, automounter version 4 support is still shown as an
> >item to be selected.  It was certainly recommended for systemd, but
> >the last part of the rationale "this is needed to work around a bug
> >with network filesystems which are to be mounted on boot" ONLY
> >applied to systemd.
> >
> >  IMHO we should not include the kernel automounter in LFS.  BLFS
> >already has that setting on its autofs page.
>
> I left that in as a shortcut for those who need the kernel automounter so a
> kernel rebuild is not needed.  Does it hurt something?  Do we just specify
> the minimum?

 We used to!

> I know that there are lots of other places in BLFS that also have kernel
> options, but this seemed relatively innocuous to me.

 I call it bloat.  Never used it until I was building for systemd.
At http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs we say :

| Building LFS produces a very compact Linux system
|
|    When you install a regular distribution, you often end up
|installing a lot of programs that you would probably never use.
|They're just sitting there taking up (precious) disk space. It's not
|hard to get an LFS system installed under 100 MB. Does that still
|sound like a lot? A few of us have been working on creating a very
|small embedded LFS system. We installed a system that was just
|enough to run the Apache web server; total disk space usage was
|approximately 8 MB. With further stripping, that can be brought down
|to 5 MB or less. Try that with a regular distribution.

 You seem to be moving further and further away from that.

In any case, the text about the workaround only applies to systemd
(or even "some systemd installations" - one of my builds needs it,
another machine with an almost identical build but different
hardware appeared as if it didn't [ no obvious error messages on
that one ].  We don't mention systemd in the book any more, so we
are implying a fault in something.

> I suppose instead a link to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/longindex.html#kernel-config-index
> might be appropriate.

 That would not hurt, and might make things easier for new users.

ĸen