[lfs-dev] kernel options after removing systemd

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:31:35 PDT 2014

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:08:41AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>>   I'm just catching up on the details of what has changed.  In
>>> section 8.3 the rationale entries for all mentioned options are now
>>> present - so far, so good.
>>>
>>>   Unfortunately, automounter version 4 support is still shown as an
>>> item to be selected.  It was certainly recommended for systemd, but
>>> the last part of the rationale "this is needed to work around a bug
>>> with network filesystems which are to be mounted on boot" ONLY
>>> applied to systemd.
>>>
>>>   IMHO we should not include the kernel automounter in LFS.  BLFS
>>> already has that setting on its autofs page.
>>
>> I left that in as a shortcut for those who need the kernel automounter so a
>> kernel rebuild is not needed.  Does it hurt something?  Do we just specify
>> the minimum?
>>
>   We used to!
>
>> I know that there are lots of other places in BLFS that also have kernel
>> options, but this seemed relatively innocuous to me.
>>

>   I call it bloat.  Never used it until I was building for systemd.
> At http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs we say :

> | Building LFS produces a very compact Linux system
> |
> |    When you install a regular distribution, you often end up
> |installing a lot of programs that you would probably never use.
> |They're just sitting there taking up (precious) disk space. It's not
> |hard to get an LFS system installed under 100 MB. Does that still
> |sound like a lot? A few of us have been working on creating a very
> |small embedded LFS system. We installed a system that was just
> |enough to run the Apache web server; total disk space usage was
> |approximately 8 MB. With further stripping, that can be brought down
> |to 5 MB or less. Try that with a regular distribution.
>
>   You seem to be moving further and further away from that.

Well the best definition of bloat I can find is 'unwarranted or
excessive growth or enlargement'.  What's been done lately is not
excessive in my mind.  Some may call it unwarranted, but I feel there
are valid reasons.

I do agree that we should guard against a lot of extras.  For instance,
I don't think glib is appropriate.  You could make a case that openssl,
openssh, sudo, which, wget, etc should be in LFS, but that really
becomes a preference.  I left in some systemd requirements to harmonize
with a separate systemd book *and* because they were used in a lot of
BLFS packages.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/longindex.html#kernel-config-index
>> might be appropriate.

OK, I'll do that.