[lfs-dev] How change charset of html to utf-8

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat May 17 11:26:26 PDT 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 01:55:05AM +0800, Lei Tong wrote:
> I am sorry for that I did't describe my question in detail.
> I only know lfs book 7.5 about the encode. Because I want to translate this
> version to Chinses. As far as I know utf8 may be good to display those
> character s.

 That's ok, I think I've got the basics sorted now :

 The encoding is in each xml file, and also in some stylesheets.
The following looks as if it does the right thing:

 In the BOOK/ directory (trunk/BOOK), or svn copy trunk/BOOK
branches/unicode for any editors who want to try this -

find -type f | xargs sed -i 's/encoding="ISO-8859-1"/encoding="UTF-8"/'

 Similarly for BLFS.

 Note: this does NOT change the stylesheets, or the images, which
are still marked as 8859-1.  The regular html is now all unicode, I
don't have the tools to attempt to build the PDF.

 Guys, I think we ought to do this, what do you think (for LFS) ?

ĸen