[lfs-dev] Regarding left over systemd packages.

Kenneth Harrison maduinthemarauder at gmail.com
Mon May 19 20:39:28 PDT 2014

Up till before systemd was experimented with, several packages never had
existed in the LFS book until that time. These packages include:

expat
XML:Parser
intltool
libcap
acl
attr

Dbus was obviously and possibly taken out because it was specifically
needed for systemd and reassigned to BLFS where it resided for the longest
time, but these other packages technically are not technically required by
LFS. Now, I understand that several packages in LFS such as:

tcl
check
dejagnu
expect

are used primarily for testing purposes during compiling and are included
during the bootstrap phase, and that LFS is not a true minimalist system,
but in regards to actual usefulness during the build phase, those
forementioned packages are not required on any level even in regards to
checking system packages or properly booting the system. In my hint
eudev-alt-hint.txt which is now (hopefully temporarily) deprecated, I
mentioned these packages could be excluded.

I'm not certain of the logic behind leaving these packages in LFS since
they technically aren't required for the base system. Not to step on toes
or make a ill statement, but because LFS is somewhat of an educational
experience, leaving these packages in serves no purpose and no educational
benefit (at least in my opinion anyway), and in my own humble opinion,
resigning them back to BLFS would be a possible wiser choice because of the
lack of necessity to the base.

In my own opinion again, the base system should just be that, a workable
base with minimal tools, but not the bare minimum (if that makes sense) to
get the kernel loaded, the shell activated, and the interface brought up,
but with enough usability and the right tools and packages to expand
outward.

I do apologize if this question has been asked before however, and
clarification was given.

Best regards with slight curiosity,
Kenneth James Powell