[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 00:28:55 PDT 2014

Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 09/29/2014 05:45 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Dan McGhee wrote:
>>> On 09/29/2014 02:45 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>> We'll take this a step at a time. First upgrade the package with
>> current instructions that expect uefi to be missing or disabled. Then
>> we can do a hint for uefi. Finally, hopefully before the next release
>> next March incorporate it in the book.
>
> Good plan. I'll start working on the hint.

OK, I just updated the book to grub-2.02~beta2.  The build instructions
are the same as before but omit a sed for a fix no longer needed.

Testing on the same grub.cfg that I was using (Debian's with manual
edits for LFS) worked without modification.

I did not add a comment about rebuilding after fontconfig is available
in BLFS.  That's probably appropriate for the hint though.

If you write the hint, I'll be glad to review it, but I probably won't
test it.  I don't want to re-enable uefi on my laptop.  I have no use
for it.

I'll note that at one time I played with customizing grub2 and came up with:

#  if loadfont /grub/unifont.pf2 ; then
#    loadfont /grub/unifont.pf2
#    set gfxmode="800x600;640x480"
#    insmod gfxterm
#    insmod vbe
#    insmod tga
#  fi

#  terminal_output gfxterm
#  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
#      terminal gfxterm
#  fi

#  if background_image /grub/lfs.tga ; then
#    true
#    set menu_color_normal=light-gray/black
#    set menu_color_highlight=white/black
#  else
#    set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
#    set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
#  fi

Sets the background image, changes the font, and font
foreground/background colors.  I don't use it though.  I don't think a
lot of time is warranted to customize a screen that is normally up for 5
seconds or less when booting (which I try to avoid anyway).

   -- Bruce