[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Thu Oct 2 05:17:47 PDT 2014

On 10/02/2014 02:28 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>>> We'll take this a step at a time. First upgrade the package with
>>> current instructions that expect uefi to be missing or disabled. Then
>>> we can do a hint for uefi. Finally, hopefully before the next release
>>> next March incorporate it in the book.
>>
>> Good plan. I'll start working on the hint.
>
> OK, I just updated the book to grub-2.02~beta2. The build instructions
> are the same as before but omit a sed for a fix no longer needed.
>
> Testing on the same grub.cfg that I was using (Debian's with manual
> edits for LFS) worked without modification.
Chalk this up to mutual experience. I had no trouble with it when I
discovered and built it in 7.5 and did the same thing with my Ubuntu
grub.cfg.

> I did not add a comment about rebuilding after fontconfig is available
> in BLFS. That's probably appropriate for the hint though.
This would be a good area to test. The words on the ARCH wiki are "Grub
requires a visual environment" when used in UEFI mode. It might be
necessary to provide a font to grub for run time. But when I see
"require," unless it's in the {,B}LFS book, I like to see if it's really so.

> If you write the hint, I'll be glad to review it, but I probably won't
> test it. I don't want to re-enable uefi on my laptop. I have no use
> for it.
Thanks for this. As far as UEFI and testing the hint, do you have any
students who might be interested in an "extra credit" project? (said the
spider to the fly.) I can't test it either because of the HP hard code
stuff. I'm going to post on -support in a bit and ask if there is anyone
who is willing to help with the testing.

> I'll note that at one time I played with customizing grub2 and came up
> with:
>
> # if loadfont /grub/unifont.pf2 ; then
> # loadfont /grub/unifont.pf2
> # set gfxmode="800x600;640x480"
> # insmod gfxterm
> # insmod vbe
> # insmod tga
> # fi
>
> # terminal_output gfxterm
> # if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
> # terminal gfxterm
> # fi
>
> # if background_image /grub/lfs.tga ; then
> # true
> # set menu_color_normal=light-gray/black
> # set menu_color_highlight=white/black
> # else
> # set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
> # set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
> # fi
>
> Sets the background image, changes the font, and font
> foreground/background colors. I don't use it though. I don't think a
> lot of time is warranted to customize a screen that is normally up for
> 5 seconds or less when booting (which I try to avoid anyway).
Unless you're editing the grub.cfg. :) Even for that short-lived screen,
I want to do some tweaking for my tired, old eyes.

Dan