[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun Oct 12 06:51:11 PDT 2014

Le 02/10/2014 17:27, Dan McGhee a écrit :
> On 10/02/2014 07:17 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> On 10/02/2014 02:28 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> If you write the hint, I'll be glad to review it, but I probably won't test
>>> it. I don't want to re-enable uefi on my laptop. I have no use for it.
>> Thanks for this. As far as UEFI and testing the hint, do you have any
>> students who might be interested in an "extra credit" project? (said the
>> spider to the fly.) I can't test it either because of the HP hard code
>> stuff. I'm going to post on -support in a bit and ask if there is anyone who
>> is willing to help with the testing.
>
> I've been thinking about what I said here. The statement "I can't test it...,"
> is not complete. I can test, and have tested, everything up to, but not
> including, powering up and defaulting to the grub screen after I upgraded, not
> a fresh install, to Win-8.1. I can take the place of the default boot manager
> and select the boot loader that I want to use. However, the engineer in me
> says that this is not adequate to say, "This procedure works."
>
> I don't want to write a hint that has not been tested in its entirety. This is
> why I'd like to enlist one or two people to test the procedures in the hint.
>
> Dan

Hi,

I replaced the motherboard of my computer, which was dying. So now I have a
new one with UEFI firmware, which prompted me to try to use it. Problem is,
right now, I am only able to run in legacy mode.

But what I have done, which may be relevant to this thread and testing
instructions is to use a qemu VM with EFI firmware (just added -bios OVMF.fd
to the command line options, I use Debian's qemu and oackage ovmf is
installed). Then, I got to the point to be able to load grubXXX.efi, and to
have it boot the kernel. So this is a good solution to testing instructions...

Roughly, building grub-efi just amounts to add --with-target=efi to the book
instructions, assuming:
a) freetype2 is on the system (no need for fontconfig), then grub has been
(re)built once to install grub-mkfont, and is now rebuilt with grub-mkfont
installed.
b) there is unifont.pcf in one of the subdirectories of /usr/share/fonts (can
be downloaded from
http://unifoundry.com/pub/unifont-7.0.03/font-builds/unifont-7.0.03.pcf.gz).
unifont.pcf will be automagically translated to unicode.pf2 during the build.

Assuming that your EFI partition is mounted at /boot/efi, the installation of
grub is done with:
 grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi

grub.cfg contains:
set default=0
set timeout=5

insmod all_video
insmod gfxterm
# May be needed: insmod lvm
loadfont unifont
set gfxmode=1024x768
set gfxpayload=keep
terminal_output gfxterm
[...usual menus...]

EFIShell is built in OVMF.fd, so I used that for setting the boot ordre

Pierre