[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Oct 17 08:03:58 PDT 2014

On 10/02/2014 02:28 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>>> We'll take this a step at a time. First upgrade the package with
>>> current instructions that expect uefi to be missing or disabled. Then
>>> we can do a hint for uefi. Finally, hopefully before the next release
>>> next March incorporate it in the book.
>>
>> Good plan. I'll start working on the hint.
>
> OK, I just updated the book to grub-2.02~beta2.  The build
> instructions are the same as before but omit a sed for a fix no longer
> needed.
>
> Testing on the same grub.cfg that I was using (Debian's with manual
> edits for LFS) worked without modification.
>
> I did not add a comment about rebuilding after fontconfig is available
> in BLFS.  That's probably appropriate for the hint though.
>
> If you write the hint, I'll be glad to review it, but I probably won't
> test it.  I don't want to re-enable uefi on my laptop.  I have no use
> for it.

I'm about half way through the first draft of the hint and have two
questions.

@Bruce.  For your review, should I just attach it to an e-mail here, on
the hints list, ....?

I'm trying to write the hint for use independently from but as an
augmentation to the book.  Does it disturb the "natural order of things"
to recommending the delay of building grub until just before Ch. 8?  I
plan to include a method for uninstalling grub--if it wasn't configured
as in the hint--for those who don't use package management.  But the
easiest thing to do is to use part of the hint in Ch.6 and then complete
it before kernel configuration in Ch.8

Of course, this discussion will be included in the hint.

Thanks,
Dan