[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 23 14:47:24 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 04:26:15PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:

> > I haven't yet had a chance to actually read the hint, but the format is wrong.  It is not ASCII and the lines exceed 80 characters.
> >
> > There are a ton of sequences like:  â~@~  What did you use to compose the hint?  I recommend vim.
> >
> > In a browser I get things like:
> >
> > UUID’s
> > “Secure Boot.â€
> > “UEFIâ€
> >

> Thanks for the “heads up.” Bruce.  As I said, I composed it on my iMac in Pages, the word processing app.  I think “exported” it to plain text.  I’ll see if I can’t move it over to my laptop and open it vim.  I suspect it’s the HFS+ formatting.  We’ll see.
>
> Dan

 In mutt, looking at the attachments I can see there are:
 I     1 <no description>
  (that is the email itself)

[multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 23K]
  I     2 ├─><no description>
[text/plain, quoted, utf-8, 2.4K]
  I     3 └─><no description>
[multipa/mixed, 7bit, 21K]
  I     4   ├─><no description>
[text/html, quoted, utf-8, 4.8K]
  A     5   ├─>Draft_Grub_Hint.txt

 This looks ok to me : it seems to be plain text (I did not check
the line width).  To be honest, Bruce's "accented a letters plus
random extra letters" look similar to what happens when people try
to read UTF-8 text in legacy encodings.

[text/plain, quoted, us-ascii, 15K]
  I     6   └─><no description>
[text/html, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]
  I     7 <no description>
[text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.1K]

ĸen - currently _suffering_ for his love of UTF-8 ;)