[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Thu Oct 23 14:59:05 PDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 16:47, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 04:26:15PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't yet had a chance to actually read the hint, but the format is wrong.  It is not ASCII and the lines exceed 80 characters.
>>>
>>> There are a ton of sequences like:  â~@~  What did you use to compose the hint?  I recommend vim.
>>>
>>> In a browser I get things like:
>>>
>>> UUID’s
>>> “Secure Boot.â€
>>> “UEFIâ€
>>>

>> Thanks for the “heads up.” Bruce.  As I said, I composed it on my iMac in Pages, the word processing app.  I think “exported” it to plain text.  I’ll see if I can’t move it over to my laptop and open it vim.  I suspect it’s the HFS+ formatting.  We’ll see.
>>
>> Dan
>>
> In mutt, looking at the attachments I can see there are:
> I     1 <no description>
>  (that is the email itself)
>
> [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 23K]
>  I     2 ├─><no description>
> [text/plain, quoted, utf-8, 2.4K]
>  I     3 └─><no description>
> [multipa/mixed, 7bit, 21K]
>  I     4   ├─><no description>
> [text/html, quoted, utf-8, 4.8K]
>  A     5   ├─>Draft_Grub_Hint.txt
>
> This looks ok to me : it seems to be plain text (I did not check
> the line width).  To be honest, Bruce's "accented a letters plus
> random extra letters" look similar to what happens when people try
> to read UTF-8 text in legacy encodings.
>
> [text/plain, quoted, us-ascii, 15K]
>  I     6   └─><no description>
> [text/html, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]
>  I     7 <no description>
> [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.1K]
>
> ĸen - currently _suffering_ for his love of UTF-8 ;)

I like UTF-8 also, but there are so many warnings in BLFS that I don’t use it on my laptop.  I did open the hint in vim on my laptop and there are some lines that are *reeeeeeeaaaallllly* long.  I’m editing.

Gotta make the hint readable by everyone so all is fine.  Your info tells me that my iMac and minimal knowledge of its apps are OK.

Thanks, Ken.

Dan