[lfs-dev] grub-2.02~beta2

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 17:38:56 PDT 2014

Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 05:54 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I read through the hint.  I don't really have any comments on the
>> content, but I do on some of the presentation--mostly minor.  I'll
>> wait though until you reformat so we don't go through it multiple times.
>>
>   OK.  Hope I fixed it.  Let's try again.

Looks good.  I'll send my comments after I have a chance to write them
up.  May be tomorrow.

> Obviously, I've got to learn more about working in my iMac.  Some of the
> lines wrapped 8-10 times in vim and there were some interesting
> symbols.  Almost like escapes for things like ; ' and ".

The only newlines were at the end of paragraphs.  Some editors do that
so it gets rewrapped by another editor.  However, the original editor
has just lost control.

> Just so this doesn't get lost in the thread I'm going to test the hint
> on an LFS-SVN jhalfs build.

The last time I played with it, unicode.pf2 was in /boot/grub.

It's been a while, but did you see
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/grub2.txt?  I
wrote that before grub2 went in the book.

The purpose is to nail down the initial
> location of unicode.pf2 so that grub finds it during "make install" and
> "grub-install."  I'm also going to "make it prettier" and more
> readable.  Ultimately, I want to supply a "Table of Contents" so that it
> can be searchable in a browser or text editor. I want to accomplish this
> before it's published, hopefully about the same time LFS-7.7 is released.

I would think the hint should be done well before March 1st.

   -- Bruce